Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Guerrilla Knitting in Ranelagh

The streets of Dublin can be pretty grey and drab. Time to add a splash of colour!


Materials: 
The biggest needles stocked in your local craft shop
Several obnoxiously large & colourful balls of wool


The last time a knitting project dwarfed me this much, I was 5 years old. Learning to wield the giant needles was a struggle in itself. Anyone sitting next to me risked being on the receiving end of jabs from rogue needles. 

That said, the monster needles ensured the piece knitted up stupidly quickly- I'd say the whole thing only took me a couple of hours.


Joan and I headed out in the cover of darkness to sew the piece onto the bike rack. This is probably something that you could do in the daytime, but sneaking out in the middle of the night definitely added a measure of excitement. Also probably minimised the amount of strange looks we got.


It was so great coming down to see it in the daylight. It's immensely satisfying to watch on anonymously as people stop to look at the splash of colour. 


I thought for sure the thunderstorm that hit Dublin last week would have disintegrated it, but last I checked it's still going strong. Also quite heartening that no rowdy drunks have wrecked it yet! Definitely didn't expect it to last this long.


Such an easy and rewarding project- could not recommend it more.


No comments:

Post a Comment